Monday, March 5, 2012

The Lent Challenge

Do you participate in the lent challenge?   You have to give something up for 40 days.  I never participated in lent in the past, but last year I thought I would give it a shot.  I gave up fast food, and I have yet to go back.  I couldn't even tell you the last time I had it...but it was sometime in February of 2011.  I have no intentions to go back either.  I'm so afraid that once I go back that I'll start to crave it again.

Was it hard?  Yes and no.  The first two weeks were pretty tough, but I was able to feed my cravings with similar items from restaurants or at home.  After about 2 weeks, it wasn't even an after thought.  Now the only issues I have are when we are traveling (you really can't take a 5-6 hr car ride and expect the kids to sit down and eat), when it's nasty outside (who wants to get out of the car?), and when we are running errands & short on time.

So exactly what do I consider fast food?  Anything that has a drive through in the majority of it's locations.  So Subway & Jersey Mikes are still good! ; )

This year I wanted to stick with the same type of health kick, something that would be better for me to cut out of my diet.  So I picked soda...all types.  My drink of choice...Pepsi.  It's my morning coffee, and my 3pm pick me up.  It's my stress release and my treat to myself. 

I did not think this challenge would be that hard.  I actually had given up soda  right before Troy and I started dating...but this time is different.  I don't drink a ton of Pepsi, but I do have a little each and every day.  I normally have a few sips in the morning before work, then every few days I'll have some with my lunch or around 2-3pm.  If I haven't had it during the day, then I have it with dinner.  It normally averages out to 1-2 drinks (12-16 oz) per day.  It's more the habit than it is the craving.

So, on day one of giving up soda....I got this at Target:



Seriously?  I mean you NEVER get coupons for soda.  I wanted to burn it...but instead I took the picture and immediately threw it away.  I didn't want to feel like I should use it! ; )

It's been almost 2 weeks and I haven't even had a sip of soda (and yes I considered a sip) but it's still hard.  I think this is a lot harder than the fast food last year.  At least with the fast food, I could get the same food at home or at restaurants.  With soda, there is no replacement.

I do drink a lot of water....a minimum of 2 of these a day at work:


I've been drinking sweet tea when I just can't have water anymore...and I also have the water drink mixers.  They are super sweet to me, so I only use 1/2 of one in my big water jug.

I'm not sure I'll give up soda forever but I'm determined to finish this challenge.  I'm very competitive so I know that will drive me until the end.

So, what about you?  Did you give up anything for lent?  How are you doing with it?

Good luck to those who are going through the lent challenge!!

No comments: